A new era in education has begun. In the software engineering program (S.E.), semesters are based around completing various projects, not just going through a schedule of individual classes. You will still have courses in math, English, and other humanities, but now they relate to the S.E. projects you are working on. For example, skills gained from composition will directly enhance a student’s ability to communicate S.E. concepts in the business world. This program also provides extensive experience in working in teams. The result is a program that is intensely practical and academically rigorous.
Graduates can expect employment opportunities in many industries such as health care and defense that both are challenging and rewarding. A graduate of this program is equipped to design and create software to meet a variety of needs. Graduates are also capable of collaborating in a team environment, as well as working alone. Graduates can become software engineers, software developers, software designers, and project managers as well as continue their education in graduate school.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop complex software systems in at least two programming languages
- Communicate effectively with other programmers and non-programmers both orally and in writing
- Contribute to all phases of the software cycle
- Work effectively on an interdisciplinary team
- Analyze data gathered to identify likely solutions when given a problem or situation
- Apply mathematics as appropriate to solve problems in computer science