Feb 26, 2024
Program is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission
The Master of Science degree in Psychology is designed for individuals who are looking for career promotions or enhanced employment opportunities as well as those who want to further their education in preparation for various doctoral degrees. The Master of Science online degree program will provide a solid foundation in psychological theory and research. The program will provide students with the opportunity to develop the skills needed to utilize psychological principles in various employment settings such as business, mental health/social service agencies, medical hospitals, human service organizations, the criminal justice system including police work and corrections, and teaching at institutions of higher education.
- Provide students with a solid foundation in advanced psychological principles, theories, practices and research.
- Provide students with exposure that leads to increased respect and appreciation of diversity and individual differences.
- Provide a curriculum that aligns with the American Psychological Association’s (APA) Commission on Accreditation Educational Guidelines for doctoral education to facilitate the potential transfer of credits for ongoing higher education.
- Provide a curriculum that will provide a solid foundation for students seeking licensure for the independent practice of psychology if they wish to complete the additional requirements at another university.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Compare and contrast the major theories and principles of psychological concepts.
- Examine the ways one’s own thoughts and behaviors impact the self and others.
- Distinguish between different research methodologies and designs used in the field of psychology.
- Identify the ethical guidelines within the practice of psychology.
- Model effective professional and academic writing skills including the use of APA style.
- Respect and appreciate diversity and individual differences.
- Content: Students will demonstrate advanced and holistic knowledge in their respective areas of studies and will be able to integrate and apply that knowledge into practice.
- Ethics: Students will demonstrate responsibility, accountability, and ethical consciousness in their decision making in academic and professional settings.
- Communication and Technology: Students will demonstrate advanced written and verbal communication skills and ability to use effectively diverse technology tools to evaluate and communicate data in professional and academic settings.
- Research and Critical Thinking: Students will have the knowledge of their discipline’s research methods and apply advanced analytical skills and research methods to collect and examine data as well as evaluate their own thoughts, complex situations, and research implications for creative solutions.
- Diversity: Students will demonstrate an understanding of cultural uniqueness, respect and appreciation for differences, as well as the ability to capitalize on diverse views in their personal and professional interactions.
Total Credits Required: 33