2020-2021 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Electrical Engineering, B.S.
The electrical engineering program prepares graduates for a successful career in the rapidly evolving and intellectually challenging field of electrical engineering. The program provides a broad foundation in traditional and contemporary areas of electrical engineering to support life-long learning and specific enough to provide the necessary skills for a successful entry into professional life. Studies in mathematics and science form the program foundation that prepares the student for depth in the electrical engineering topic of circuits. From this foundation, the principal areas of application are covered, including electronics, digital systems, electromagnetics, electrical machines, controls and communications. Computer-based simulations and laboratory-based applications support theoretical study in each of these areas. Graduates work in a variety of careers including the design, development and testing of systems and components for the aerospace, communications, power distribution and instrumentation industries. The electrical engineering ABET program objectives and outcomes are identified below.
- Will be employed in electrical engineering related fields or in other career fields in industry, business, academe, government or non-profit organizations
- Will continue to enhance their professional skills by participating in professional organizations, completing additional college courses or completing industry-sponsored short courses
Student Learning Outcomes
Electrical engineering graduates will successfully demonstrate the 7 ABET program outcomes:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles on engineering, science, and mathematics.
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.