The Bachelors of Science in Biology will develop attributes of life-long learning. The proposed courses for this major demonstrate a unique combination of biology, chemistry, physics and social sciences that will be augmented by scientific writing, leadership, communication, and professional development. These skills and disciplines will be nested within an environment of inquiry based learning.
Students in the Biology program will accomplish these Program Learning Outcomes:
- Use inquiry-based learning consistently to nurture creativity, innovation, and best practices.
- Approach problems consistently with open-minded approaches to yield productive and effective solutions.
- Develop skills to courageously confront complex issues alongside the realization of the fleeting nature of precise answers
- Tackle authentic, poorly formed challenges to transform large-scale problems into local projects.
- Accept peer review with an attitude of openness and understanding.
- Practice professional engagement in discourse with honesty that promotes trust based on candid, encompassing, and inclusive dialogue.
- Connect with diverse audiences, communicating clearly and concisely.
- Develop true self-awareness that manifests efficient and effective action with humble confidence.
- Respect themselves, the environment, and collaborators in the present and throughout the future.
These learning outcomes are designed to immediately bring Freshman students into the work of scientics, leveraging their excitement and motivation to positively impact student retention and success.