The purpose of the Ph.D. in Global Leadership is to prepare scholars for leadership roles in complex organizations in for-profit and not-for-profit sectors and higher education. These scholar leaders will understand their responsibilities and their roles as leaders in conserving, expanding and transforming these organizations and in advancing the discipline of leadership and practice in the global society.
Global leadership is a young multidisciplinary field of study that is exciting for both practitioners and scholars. It focuses on the globally minded, culturally intelligent, socially responsible individuals who lead transnational organizations in every sector of the global economy. It addresses followers as they define the global leader and share the global leader’s vision. Furthermore, global leadership examines organizational systems within complex external and internal environments where interaction between global leaders and followers takes place.
For the Ph.D. program, global leadership encompasses an understanding of the global environment with its complexity; situational and environmental challenges and opportunities; the interaction between environment, culture, social, political and economic trends; the organizational environment in its totality; and leading with a global mindset in the 21st century.
Students in the global health leadership concentration will pursue coursework designed to prepare them for increasing leadership roles in healthcare organizations. You will possess the advanced, in-depth knowledge and skills necessary to identify and respond to situations that challenge the infrastructure of the health care industry as well as the communities within which we live and work. This program will prepare you to respond to the socio-economic, technical, educational, political and human disparities and needs that are necessary to improve health systems, education and health service accessibility in communities throughout the world.
Professional Development Needs in the Public and Private Sectors
Students entering into this course of study do so to meet several different professional needs:
- Receive advanced training and skills in research, organizational leadership or academic leadership culminating in the terminal degree. The skills provide the foundation for discovering new knowledge in leadership fields and for applying that knowledge to the emerging business environment.
- Obtain a doctoral degree with the intention to teach in related disciplines, support advancement or change in career.
- Obtain a terminal degree to further develop an executive leadership role in for-profit, not-for-profit, public, private, educational, corporate or professional organizations.
Students who successfully complete the Ph.D. in Global Leadership are able to:
- Critically analyze theories in the multidisciplinary area of the global leadership studies.
- Contribute to creation of empirical knowledge and theory development in the area of global leadership by applying advance research skills necessary to conduct original qualitative and quantitative research.
- Demonstrate a holistic understanding of global leadership by considering both global leaders and global followers and their interaction with and within complex global systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of unique approaches and skills in conducting international research in areas of global leadership studies.
- Demonstrate advanced critical thinking skills apparent through both written and oral communication.
- Successfully apply multidisciplinary theories to address global leadership challenges across diverse sectors, and design action plans to advance organizational success.
- Demonstrate responsibility, accountability, ethical consciousness and adherence to legal, professional and educational standards of global leadership.